Friday, May 18, 2012

40 DAY FAST FROM WRONGFUL THINKING (Day 15)


"That's Just The Way I Am"

Today we are fasting from the thought that says: "That's just the way I am."

     One of the things that limits us and keeps us defeated is the opinion we have of ourselves. Over time, we begin to accept that we can't change. We also accept other people's stigmas of us. These things begin to shape our view of ourselves and what we're capable of.
     "He's shy." "She's stuck-up." "He's all talk." "She's not the sharpest knife in the drawer."
      We often end up living up to the very opinions and expectations that others have had of us, because it has conditioned us. Or, we feel, "I'll always be average." "I'll always be overweight." "I'm capable of only making 'x' amount of money."  We're limited by our self-imposed expectations of ourselves.
      Today, we are breaking out of the limitations and boundaries we, or others, have put on us. That may have been the way you WERE, but that's NOT the way you ARE.

LET'S CHANGE IT TODAY
  1. You are a work of art -- a work in progress. God is the potter and we are the clay (Jeremiah 18:1-6). God is working on you to make you what He wants you to be. Trust the Artist to make a masterpiece. Be flexible and adaptable. See yourself as a GOOD work in progress.
  2. Withhold judgement of yourself (or others). Philippians 1:6 says, "He who began a GOOD work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ." Don't prejudge what your capacity is or what your potential is. He's only just begun!
  3. God doesn't throw you out. HE NEVER GIVES UP ON YOU. Jeremiah 18:4 says, "the clay was marred, so He made it again." He didn't discard it! He made it again. Whew! Thank God!
  4. You are changing as you are reading this! Whatever flaws you have, they are not the final sentence. You are NOW being conformed to the image of Jesus! (Romans 8:29)
  5. EMBRACE the GRACE! Paul said in 1 Corinthians 15:10, "I AM what I AM by the grace of God." It's God's grace IN YOU that is making you what you are. You are not a composite of your parents' mistakes, your mistakes, and others' opinions of you. You're awesome!
THINK IT AND SAY IT
FEATURING:    I am unlimited in my ability to grow and change. God is
                          the potter and I am the clay. I am what God says I am.
                          He bagan a good work in me and He will finish it. He is
                          Making me into something GOOD.
                          I am His workmanship --- His work of art. He's good
                          at this and has been doing it a long time! I am not in
                          bondage to my weaknesses and former limitations. They
                          do not define me.
                          Everyday and every moment that passes is making me
                          more and more like Him. In Jesus' Name.

***reprinted from Gregory Dickow's "Start Thinking Forward"