Saturday, May 12, 2012

40 DAY FAST FROM WRONGFUL THINKING (Day 9)


"Backward Thinking"

     Today, we're fasting from something I call "backward thinking."

     So often, we start our day, or our prayers with WHAT WE DON'T HAVE. Around the world today, people are focused on what they DON'T have and trying to figure out how to get it. This is what I mean by "backward thinking."
     Anything good that is going to happen in our lives today starts with getting our minds on what we ALREADY have, NOT what we DON'T have.

LET'S CHANGE THAT TODAY
  1. THINK BACK but not BACKWARD. Every day, we need to THINK about things God has ALREADY done. In Psalm 103:1-5, David said, "...forget none of His benefits-- He pardons your sins, heals all your diseases, redeems your life from destruction, crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion..." Make a list --- it will change how you look at your life.
  2. Focus on the 'prayer of thanksgiving'. Start EVERY prayer thanking God for what He has already done for you (Philippians 4:6-7). This creates FAITH ENERGY. As you reflect on what God has specifically given you already, it awakens your ability to believe for more.
  3. Meditate on Philemon 1:6 which says, "Your faith becomes effective as you acknowledge every good thing already in you, through Christ Jesus." There is so much wealth inside you already. Discover it. Acknowledge it. Then you'll experience it!
  4. Step out of the comparison trap. 2 Corinthians 10:12 says, "When we compare ourselves with one another, we misunderstand life." Confusion, misunderstanding, jealousy all set in when we measure ourselves with what others have or do. God has MORE THAN ENOUGH to go around for everyone. Don't compare and you won't despair.
  5. Develop selective memory. Think back ONLY on the good that has happened in your life. FORGET the pain. Let go of the hurts and losses you've suffered. Philippians 3:13... forgetting what is behind...
  6. Believe in the God of Restoration. Expect God to make up to you the years that have been lost through your pain, mistakes and wrong ways of thinking. In Joel 2:23-25, God said, "I will restore the years that have been devoured..."
 THINK IT AND SAY IT

FEATURING:    I start my day with what God has ALREADY done in my life. I will bless
                         (speak well of) the Lord at all times. His praise shall continually be in
                         my mouth. I am already complete in Jesus Christ. I think back only on
                         the good God has done. I leave the pain of my past behind!
                         I give up comparing myself to others and believe that God has more than
                         enough for me. I believe in the God of restoration and expect Him to
                         make up to me all that I have lost through years of backward thinking.
                         In Jesus' Name.

*** reprinted from Gregory Dickow's "Start Thinking Forward"

TESTIMONY:  When I began my walk with Jesus I asked Him to humble me. This led me to start my prayers with thanking God for everything FIRST. I've realized that AFTER I thank God for everything, there's not very much left to pray for EXCEPT to pray for others. I become so humble that at times, it has caused me to feel a little guilty for NOT acknowledging my blessings. I believe we ALL, at some point, take advantage of our blessings. We have SO MUCH and it's easy to overlook things. But by praying for my blessing FIRST it gave me so much perspective on things.
I want to encourage everyone... don't gripe, mumble and complain FIRST, then turn around and think "but at least I'm blessed. I'm grateful for my blessings." When you do this, you are actually placing God SECOND. NOT FIRST! You are placing your worries, hardships and frustrations BEFORE God! But if you focus on the blessings FIRST then you are placing God FIRST and you will discover your worries, hardships and frustrations are too small to even bother wasting time complaing about them.

Love and Blessings!
~One Love~