Sunday, June 17, 2012

POEM (On Father's Day)



On Father's Day


On Father's Day we take the time
To turn our thoughts to dad,
Thank him for the home he gave
For all the things we had.

We think about the fleeting years
Too quickly, gone for good,
It seems like only yesterday
I'd go back if I could.

A time when dad was always there
No matter what the weather,
Always strong when things went wrong
He held our lives together.

He strived so hard from day to day
And never once complained,
With steady hands, he worked the land
And kept the family name.

He taught us that hard work pays off
You reap just what you sow,
He said that if you tend your crops
Your field will overflow.

My harvest has been bountiful
He taught me how to give,
In his firm and steadfast way
He taught me how to live.

Dad dwells among the angels now
He left us much too soon,
He glides across a golden field
Above the harvest moon.

I see him in the fields of grain
He rides upon the wind,
And when my path is beaten down
He picks me up again.


Copywritten by Marilyn Ferguson  2003