How To Become A Successful Father
No human father is perfect. But with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, Scripture, and godly mentors, a man can become a successful dad by intentionally leading his children in these areas:
- Spirituality. Help your children to trust in Jesus Christ as early as possible and they'll grow with the understanding that He is to be at the center of everything they do.
- Morality. In homes where honesty, purity, and loyalty are lived out, boys and girls learn to value integrity asnd listen to their conscience.
- Relationships. Teaching about love, respect and mutual encouragement is good preparation for friendships and marriage.
- Vocation. Model cooperation and doing work "heartily, as to the Lord and not to men" (Col. 3:23 NKJV) and your children will form healthy work ethic.
- Finances. Teach your kids the right way to handle money: to earn honestly, give generously, invest intelligently, save prudently and enjoy heartily. (1 Timothy 6:17)
- Authority. Unless children learn how to function properly under authority --- of parents, school, church and government --- rebelliousness can easily develop. Our sons and daughters notice when there's a disconnect between our conduct and words, so setting a good example is essential.
The way to build guiding principles into a child's life is by precept (teaching) and practice (modeling). Dads, if you plant these healthy concepts in your children's hearts, what a joy it will be to see them equipped and motivated to fulfill God's purpose for their life.
Copywritten by Dr. Charles Stanley -- In Touch Ministries 2012