Friday, May 24, 2013

INSIGHTFUL MESSAGE (Melissa Dohme's testimony)



     I am a survivor of domestic violence. My name is Melissa Dohme and I am 21 years old.
     On January 24, 2012, I was attacked and stabbed 32 times by an abusive ex-boyfriend I had broken up with 3 months prior. 19 stabs were in my head, neck and face. The rest were defensive stabs on my hands and arms.
     Two teens heard me screaming and intervened the stabbing and called 911. I owe my life to them! They are my 17 and 18 year-old angels. My ex left me for dead in the road and attempted suicide. But God saved us both that night.
     When first responders arrived, I was still alert enough to identify myself and him --- despite hemorrhaging severly from cut arteries in my neck. I was airlifted to Bayfront Medical Center where Dr. Johnson and his team saved my life. I flatlined 4 times in the ER, received 12 units of blood, suffered a stroke in my cerebellum, had a fractured skull and nose, missing two teeth, right facial paralysis, stabbed larynx and was severely beaten. It's a miracle I am still alive today... even the doctors say so.
     God saved me. He couldn't stop what happened but He did perfectly line up each individual after the attack who had a hand in saving me. I believe God saved me to tell my story. To be a voice for those who are too afraid to speak or no longer have the chance because their abuser succeeded in taking their life. I stand strong against domestic violence and teen dating violence because I know what it's like to be afraid. I know what it's like to feel alone. And if you're feeling that way now, let me tell ya... you are NOT ALONE! There is help and you deserve to be treated right!
     Now, over a year later, I have come so far in my recovery. I've met amazing people, connected with fellow survivors, grown in my faith, traveled, graduated with my AA degree, spoken to thousands, moved into my own apartment, forgiven,accepted and most importantly... moved on.
     I am now happily in love with an amazing guy, Cameron. Who just so happened to know my story quite well considering he was there as a firefighter responding that night. My very own hero, my very own fairy tale.
     Please, if you are in an abusive relationship, listen to me when I say... IT ONLY GETS WORSE! Tell someone to get help! Then you can find the love you truly deserve.

Thanks for reading, please share... together we can end domestic violence! For more visit and like "Support Melissa"
www.facebook.com/melissadohme